Phonics and Reading at Ditton
What is Accelerated reader?
Accelerated Reader is a computer program that helps teachers manage and monitor children’s independent reading practice. Your child picks a book at their own level and reads it at their own pace. When finished, your child takes a short quiz on the computer. (Passing the quiz is an indication that your child understood what was read.) Accelerated Reader gives children and teachers feedback based on the quiz results, which the teacher then uses to help set goals and direct ongoing reading practice. Once your child has achieved 100% on four book quizzes, the teacher will move them on to the next book band level.
Book band colours
In Ditton Church of England Juniors we follow the Letters and Sounds Scheme which builds up the children’s confidence and knowledge in recognising and applying a range of phonemes and graphemes.
Our Library – “a place to read, relax and enjoy a fantastical story”
Reading records are checked regularly and we count two reads a day (including weekends and half terms). The reading count will start back at zero after February half term (term 4)
- 25 reads – certificate in class
- 50 reads – certificate in class
- 100 reads – certificate in assembly and their name on on a star displayed in the hall
- 150 reads – certificate and a wristband
- 200 reads – certificate and choose a book from the Headteacher’s office
- 250 reads – certificate and a £5 WH Smith voucher
- 300 reads – certificate and a trip to Waterstones